Running Water Not Required for Effective Bathing
If you have limited mobility, or cannot or simply do not want to frequently take a shower or bath, a sponge bath can be an effective meaning of bathing.
For a sponge bath, do the following:
- Gather all your supplies and make sure you are warm and covered up.
- Begin from your face/head and move down your body, saving private parts for last since they are the dirtiest.
- For warmth and privacy, uncover only the body part that is currently being washed.
- Wipe one area at a time and change washcloths between each section so you are not wiping subsequent area with a dirty cloth.
If you do not have washclothes and water available, bathing wipes, waterless cleansers, and no-rinse shampoos (regular or with bathing cap) also work well. Some people may feel that these products leave a slight residue. In those cases, do a final wipe with a clean, damp cloth after cleansing with the solution.
Additional Comfort Considerations
For additional comfort:
- Make sure the room is warm.
- If using bathing wipes, warm the wipes in the microwave in 5 to 10 second intervals.
Below is a sampling of products and equipment that are designed to help you with sponge bathing. Click on the links to find out more information, see other products selections, and if you like, to make a purchase from one of our providers.