What is Personal Development?
Personal development isn’t something that happens to you – it’s something that you must chose to do for yourself. But once you make that choice, you need to have the right tools to put it into action successfully. Here are a few powerful personal development skills.
- What you focus on grows – Focus on positive thoughts, feelings, and ideas. When you do, those will begin to spread into your entire life like a tree soaking up water from a fresh spring.
- Start your day right – Before you turn on the TV or radio, or read the news, spend some time first thing in the morning to read something motivational, inspirational, or educational. Make the first thing you put into your mind something that is consistent with the life you want to have.
- Write down your goals – Studies show that people who write down their goals are much more likely to achieve them. Write them out in present tense, as if you have already achieved them.
Create Your Own Personal
Study after study proves that you are far more likely to achieve your financial, health, and lifestyle goals if you write down a personal development plan. Here are a few first steps that will get you started.
- Clarify your values – Before you do anything, you need to figure out what is important to you when it comes to your work. What do you really value in terms of employment? Place these in order of importance.
- Create a mission statement – Write down a clear, concise statement that describes the kind of person you intend to become. If you have a certain annual salary you want to earn then this statement will describe how you will maximize your time and energy to achieve that.
- Your area of excellence – The final step is to determine the skillset or niche where you will focus your energies to become the best. Using this method you can achieve results beyond your imagination.
My Most Popular Personal Development Courses and Programs
Perhaps the most powerful skill you have is your ability to learn. Any roadblock you will ever encounter can be surpassed through learning. Here’s how learning will give you a competitive advantage.
- Boost your career – Start reading the most reputable trade journals and magazines in your industry. Even one article can save you years of work or completely change the direction of your life.
- Invest in learning – Even if you invest just 3% of your earnings into books, DVDs, cassettes, seminars, or audio and video programs, the return you get will be astronomical in terms of personal development and self help.
- Learn from experts – Make sure the material you invest your time in is from experts who are actually practicing in your field. Check the table of contents to make sure you’re getting practical application, not just theories.
Achieve Your Personal Development Goals
One of the best ways to reach your personal development goals is through the incredible power of habit. From losing weight to making more money, you can radically transform your life just with a few simple habits. But how do you actually form a new habit? Here are the steps that I’ve used to develop successful habits and reshape my life.
- Make a decision – First, you must decide to do something different. Whether it’s waking up early to exercise or listening to audio tapes on the way to work, you have to make a firm decision to do it.
- No exceptions – You must not make any exceptions to your habit, especially during the formative period at the beginning. Make sure you perform your new habit every single day.
- Visualize it – Create a clear picture in your mind of you performing the habit every day. This will force your subconscious to accept this new behavior.